From Newcastle, is a fortnightly podcast featuring the latest developments in health, science and culture and the creative arts from Newcastle University.
In each episode, our host Izzy sits down with a world-leading academic to uncover the stories behind their work and how their research is changing lives around the world.
The From Newcastle podcast is produced by the Public Lectures Team at Newcastle University. For enquiries and suggestions for future episodes, please direct queries to Stefanie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet your hosts
Izzy is a third-year student studying English Literature with Media and Communication at Newcastle University. She is currently Station Manager at Newcastle Student Radio, where she hosts a lunchtime, pop-based radio show. In addition to this, she volunteers at her local radio station Ribble FM, where she presents two music radio shows and reports on district news.
Not only a presenter, she also has numerous interviews under her belt, from local businessmen to pop-bands, such as Bastille. Podcasts have always been a huge passion for her as she has co-hosted the Newcastle based ‘Students of the Toon Podcast’ and cannot wait to embark on more academic interviews with ‘From Newcastle’ scholars.
Hailing from Lancashire, James is a Human Geography student here at Newcastle University with a particular interest in Geopolitics.
In his spare time he is a passionate musician and street photographer, and has a regular Wednesday slot on Newcastle Student Radio. He has also hosted national radio shows with the Student Radio Association.
Yasmin is a final year Law student here at Newcastle University. She has just returned from a year studying abroad in Barcelona where she developed her interest in broadcasting and presenting.
Yasmin has a particular interest in sports broadcasting and has spent time with Sky Sports and TalkSport Radio.
Latest podcast episodes
- 5.9 A breakthrough in diagnosing and treating Fatty Liver Disease with Professor Quentin AnsteeYasmin talks to Quentin Anstee about an exciting project to develop new diagnostic tests for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- 5.8 Are animals and AI entitled to legal personhood? with Dr Josh JowittYasmin talks to Dr Josh Jowitt, Lecturer in Law at Newcastle University about the legal protection for animals and how the law needs to prepare for questions about the rights of AI and lab grown cells
- 5.7 King Charles III Coronation Special with Dr Martin FarrJames talks to Dr Martin Farr about what we can expect to see at King Charles III Coronation and how the institution is attempting to stay relevant in the 21st century.
- 5.6 Earth Day Special with Dr Bethan Davies and Dr Rachel CarrIn this special episode to mark Earth Day, Yasmin talks to Dr Bethan Davies and Dr Rachel Carr, Senior Lecturers in Physical Geography at Newcastle University.
- 5.5 Creating opportunities for young dads and lads in the North East with Dr Michael RichardsonJames talks to Dr Michael Richardson about his research on the geographies of gender and masculinities and how he is working creatively to help young men and young fathers across the North East.